Healthy eating is important for everyone. Sometimes it’s hard to encourage the elderly to sit down and enjoy a meal. Why? Decreased physical activity reduces appetite. Food loses its appeal as the senses of taste and smell fade away. Many seniors find it hard to chew. Fortunately, the following recipe for easy to prepare Alaskan salmon is a great summer meal that allows friends, relatives, and caregivers to provide seniors with enticing meals packed with nutrition.
- 2 6-oz fresh or frozen Alaskan salmon fillets
- 2 small russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- Single clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 Tbs EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- 1/4 Vidalia or other sweet onion, peeled and diced
- 1 sprig fresh basil or parsley, washed and chopped
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F, with rack in center.
- Place two 14 x 10 inch sheets of aluminum foil on the counter. Place a fillet on each sheet.
- Mix remaining ingredients except potatoes in a small bowl and put half on each fillet.
- Top with potato slices. Fold and seal foil. Put packets on rack and bake 15 minutes.
- Open the foil and put each meal on a plate. Serve immediately.
Benefits for Older Adults
Specifically designed for seniors, the smaller portion and variety of color stimulates the appetite. Flakey fish and other ingredients are easy to chew and swallow. The potassium, thiamin, and iron found in fatty fish like salmon lowers the risk of chronic illness, colds, flu, and other seasonal ailments. Zinc promotes cell growth and healing. Calcium helps prevent bone density loss, osteoporosis and resulting fractures so common with the elderly.
One of the other reasons Home Care Assistance of Fort Myers loves this recipe is because there is a natural and inherent flavor of salt. Older adults often don’t notice how much salt they add to dishes, especially as taste buds decline, and this can lead to the risk of heart disease and high blood pressure.
Help for Senior Loved Ones
Easy to prepare and serve, EZ Bake Alaskan Salmon contains the healthy goodness your senior loved one deserves! If your need assistance with daily activities or if your loved one could use hourly or live-in home care in Fort Myers to assist with activities of daily living, reach out to Home Care Assistance at 239.449.4701 and learn more about our flexible care schedules, comprehensive care services, and 100% satisfaction guarantee.